Being a woman in a world that seems to have lost its sense of humaneness is anything but easy. We have been called the weaker sex for so long that most of us have come to accept it as the truth. But, we are so much stronger than the men who called us weak in the first place. Sure, we might cry at romantic movies and we may struggle to carry heavy things and blink at discussions involving bikes and cars but that doesn’t make us weak…women are the child-bearing gender remember?
Too many men have forgotten that we are amazing beings…but unfortunately, they aren’t the only ones. There are so many women who seem to have forgotten it too… As a result, we end up doing things simply because we think it’s what is expected because we are female. We question everything about ourselves, from our looks to our capabilities and rarely, if ever, take compliments seriously. We even assume that when something bad happens to us, it’s probably because we did something wrong in the first place…how much longer will we treat ourselves like that??
So, I sat myself down, thought about it and figured these are seven things (among others) that I think all women should know:
1. There is nothing wrong with saying NO…in fact, if you are with some one who really loves you, he / she will respect you and your decision. If the other person doesn’t and pressures you into doing something you really aren’t comfortable with, you need to get out that relationship and get yourself away from that person. You always have a choice.
2. When a person who is physically stronger than you takes advantage of you, it is NOT YOUR FAULT. I hate that politics and our society say different. The way you dress, the food you eat or the way you walk is no reason for anyone to hurt you. It is a shameful thing to happen…but not for you…for him! Remember that if, God forbid, something like that ever happens to you, your world has not ended. If there was any justice in the world…his should.
3. Contrary to what certain products claim, you don’t need to be fair to be considered lovely nor will the use of a particular brand of sanitary napkin guarantee your success in the world. The television airing those advertisements is called an idiot box for a reason. You truly want to make it big in this world and do something that future generations will remember you by? Then go on ahead and do it….nothing and no one can stop you, except you.
4. Learn how to be independent. It is so important to learn how to do things on your own. Learn how to drive, fix small things in your house, go for a movie alone and eat at a restaurant by yourself among other things. You shouldn’t always need someone to look after you…you are stronger than you give yourself credit. But, that being said, we do not live in a secure world so be ever aware of your surroundings and stay safe…which brings me to my next point…
5. I really really think that every woman needs to learn at least the basics of some form of self-defence. There is no better way of keep safe than by knowing how to kick some ass if you have to. I wish they would make karate/judo classes compulsory for girls in school instead of just dance and music. The art of self-defence is so important given the state of things…
6. Pursue your passions. A lot of women tend to give up things they love to do because their husbands and children consume their lives. Remember, you are just as important as your family is.
7. Finally, ladies, remember that there aren’t a whole lot of men who can do all the things you do each day as efficiently or as well as you do…you are perfect and never let anything convince you otherwise. You are real live “superwomen”…it’s just that your capes are invisible…
I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 1st – 7th September 2013.